Jeff_J is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Field Types for a Linked Table

I currently have a database that I use to do data checks on an Excel spreadsheet. I have the Excel spreadsheet as a linked table and it works OK. I can get the reports that I need from Access and make the necessary corrections.

The problem lies in the Excel spreadsheet. It has a part number field that contains alpha-numeric(X-1000) and numeric values (30000). When it is linked it inherits the spreadsheet cell type. I have it set it to general so that I can get the alpha-numeric values, which are the majority in the spreadsheet. I would also like to find a way to get the numeric values lines as well.

My initial solution was to have two version of the Excel spreadsheet and format them according to the values that I want. Then link them in Access and use queries to create one table that I can run the data checks on. The problem is with the numeric version of the spreadsheet. It will not link since it has both types of values in the cells.

Is there another way to get this accomplished?

Software versions
    Excel: 2007
    Access: 2002

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    I would think it should be a Text field. You can always get the Val() of the field if it is numeric.

Jeff_J is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I have tried that and the numeric values still come in as #Num!. I am not certain about the Val() that you are referring to though. Is that what I have to do next to get them to display? And how do I go about accomplishing it?

PartNumbers are generally not used for calculations so there is no reason for them to be anything other than a Text field. Are you saying that Excel makes them a numeric field? I believe if you just preceed the value with a ' it will change to a text field.

Jeff_J is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    They appear absolutely correct in Excel no matter what I set the cells too. It is when they get imported or linked to in Access that they are not accurate.

So you believe Access is interpreting these fields as numeric when they begin with a number? Any chance you can post a small sample of the Excel sheet with both types so I can link to it?

Jeff_J is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Here is a sample. The first line works great and accounts for the majority of the list. The second produces the #Num! in Access even though it is accurate in the spreadsheet.

I went in to the xls file and added a tick (') to the beginning of the second record and then deleted the linked table and linked again. This time Access used a Text field for the data instead of a number. It now reads just fine in access.

Jeff_J is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    That worked, but creates another problem. Is there a way to update several records without having to manually touch each one? I create the spreadsheet from an inventory one with an Excel macro and then go into Acccess and run my reports. If I were to have to touch each record that would take a considerable amount of time. I will also see what I can find too.

Thanks for the help, at least I have a way to get around the issue.

You can highlight a column and switch the entire column to Text at the same time.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.