atari is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit

Contact list in Sharepoint 2010

Hello,
    First I would like to say that I am new here, so go easy on me please .

Here is what I am trying to do...I need to create a form for a contact list that has several drop down boxes containing the contact names. Simple enough....

Here is where I have a problem:
    This form must have 15 drop down boxes containing 15 names and I need for that contact list in the drop down box to rotate. Meaning, that when a user goes in to the sharepoint site and creates a new entry they are presented with the dropdown box with names in it. When they select a name I need for the next drop down box to show up with the next name in line. So it would be something like this:

Box 1:
    Brad
    Helen
    Kevin
    Amanda

So when a user selects "Brad", the next drop down box would look like this:

Box 2:
    Helen
    Kevin
    Amanda
    Brad

So the name at the top drops to the bottom when it has been selected.

I also need for everyone to see the same box. So if user 1 comes in and selects "Brad", the next user would come in and see the name "Helen" at the top of the list.

I am using Sharepoint 2010, Access and Infopath. I have been searching for a way to do this for about the past 3 weeks. Can anyone tell me if this is at all possible?

Thank you,
    atari

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    one approach; you need 14 tables - one for each of the other comboboxes...and this table must have a column for fixed order and temp order something like this:

Name Fixed Temp
    Brad A A
    Helen B B
    Kevin C C
    Amanda D D

then when combobox 1 is selected, let's say Helen - you must trigger an update query of table 2 that results in:

Name Fixed Temp
    Brad A A
    Helen B Z
    Kevin C C
    Amanda D D

The combobox2 of course must be ordereed by the temp column and refreshed. Quite tricky overall. I hope this is worth it.

I am presuming you are using Access as your front end and that the back end is located on sharepoint - and that everyone is on the same LAN. so that essentially it is a generic Access client/server implementation....

If you are instead talking about web forms and sharepoint Access services - then I question whether this can be implemented or not. Cascading comboboxes can be implemented but I just haven't had reason to date to consider something along these lines and so am not sure...

hope this helps a little.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.