jesse is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Need help opening access database due to security

Hello everyone,
    I am stuck working with what I believe is a very old access database (I think it's access 2.0) that I am struggling to open.

I have a program front-end that interfaces with this database. When I launch the program front-end it prompts me for a user name and password, which I enter, then the program opens and I can access the data from within the program.

However, when I try to open the access database directly, I receive this error:
    Code:

You do not have the necesary permission to use the "my_database.mdb' object. Have your system administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permission for you.
    I did some searching and found this is usually related to workgroup security and involves a system.mdw file. I have tried searching my entire computer for this file and cannot find it.

I am able to open the database via the front-end application using the user name and password, but unfortunately this program does not allow me to export the data.

The bottom line is the front-end application is being sunsetted, and I need to extract the information from this database. I've also tried to attach the .mdb file as an ODBC source and connect to it, but again I received this same error. I've also tried opening a new database in Access and importing from the old file, but again I got the error.

It is imperative that I retrieve this data. If anyone has any ideas, I would be very appreciative. Thank you very much.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You can't open an Access 2.0 database directly from 2007. You would need Access 97 or 2000 to upgrade to at least Access 97 (but preferably 2000) before you can open it directly with Access 2007.

jesse is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Thank you for the reply. I have installed Access 2000 and tried to open the database, but again I receive the same error saying that I don't have permission. I even tried to open the front-end application first, supplying my username & password and minimizing it then opening the same database file in Access thinking it would "unlock" the database, yet again I got the error. I also tried to "Get External Data" from Access and import the info into a new database, but it didn't work.

Do you have any other ideas? Do you think my front-end is creating this system.mdw file on the fly when I authenticate to it? Or do you think somehow the database is set to only accept conenctions from this exe file and not any other method? I'm not very familiar with Access Security so I'm kind of at a loss right now.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You would need to have the actual mdw file that went with the database and you would open it by creating a shortcut to the Access db file with the path to the mdw in it as well. A very easy method for creating the shortcut is to use a free tool called the Headway Shortcut Builder. I like it because you can just browse to your different file paths and not have to try to enter them in exactly. It then can create the shortcut for you.

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    You can find your System.mdw file at the following location:

Code:
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Access\System.mdw
    (Access2007)

If you don't find it there run the following command directly from the Debug Window:

Code:
    docmd.RunCommand acCmdWorkgroupAdministrator
    But finding this file (the default Access2003 and earlier version Workgroup Information File) will not help in any way to open the version 2.0 database. As Mr. Boblarson mentioned, there is a Workgroup Information File (.mdw file) that was used to implement the Access Security in version 2.0 database. If it is available then you can run the above command to make that Security File current from Access2007.

Since, you have installed Access2000 you can find the Workgroup Administrator Program here: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\Wrkgadm.exe, double-click on it to run and select the Workgroup Information file, if available. \1033 is Language Folder (U.S. English), if yours is different then select that folder.

Have a look at the following diagram to get a general idea as how the Access Security Key elements assembled together to assign access privileges: http://msaccesstips.com/2011/10/acce...y-key-diagram/

If the tables are linked to the FE and the data can be read from there, then create Make-table Queries and bring in data into the FE?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.