funkygoorilla is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Tying records to users

Hi, forgive me if I am not specific enough. But, is there a way to prohibit users from being able to access\delete\modify any records but the ones that are their own? I have created a database that has a logon screen, that basically validates the username with the password that the user enters. The username and password are kept in a table. I would then like to somehow setup a way for the user to only be able to enter records as them? I don't know if that is possible though. Or any other work arounds?
    Thanks, FunkyG

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You would need value in table to use as filter criteria. RecordSource for forms would have to be a query that filters the records presented based on the criteria.

Do you want to filter records by individual or the department they work in?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi, I would like to filter them by individual. My concern is that other people may be able to enter records as other people. Right now I have the logon setup, but I dont know of a way to confirm at least this level of security.

June7 is online now VIP
    I do something similar by getting the username from the network with Environ("USERNAME") - yes, type it exactly as shown. Access will not recognize the Environ function but VBA will. I don't bother with password because I take it for granted if they are validated by network they are valid users for the database. I have a Users table that has username and initials (so far everyone's initials are unique, you might use an autonumber field). I set a textbox on main menu form to user's initials so always available for reference becaues the main menu form never closes. When user starts a new record their initials are automatically saved to table. This occurs in only one table that is parent to most other tables. So all related records could be filtered by join to the parent table. I don't actually do filtering, we record initials just to document who did what at various stages of a process. My setup doesn't require users to 'login'. I identify the user by their network username.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi,
    So can I tie a field on a form to a record in a table, that will capture the users username with the ENVIROn control, and everytime that user inputs information it will capture the username with it?
    If so, can you give me an example of how to use it?

June7 is online now VIP
    My suggestion is that you use the ENVIRON function to get the user's name when they open the project. You can either set an unbound textbox to the username or unique record ID from the Users table. Then refer to the textbox as filter criteria when you open forms or reports. These forms/reports would need to have a field in the RecordSource with user name or the unique ID from the Users table. How you save the username/unique ID to records is another issue. As I said, Access does not recognize ENVIRON but VBA does. Will require VBA to populate the username/ID in the data table. This can take place when the form closes and record is saved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.