slimjen is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2007

multiple users

I created a database using access 2003 for multiple users. I split the database and put both ends on a shared drive. I also created a mde and had each user(3 of them) create a shortcut and send it to their desktop. I created a table;tblEmployees and logon form. They can each access the database with their login and passwords but the data is not saving. This is a dataentry database for the most part and they need to be able to create records and edit at the same time. What steps did I skip or what am I doing wrong please. thanks

Toyman is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    1. Double check to ensure the tables in the mde is actually linked to the backend.
    2. The actual front end should be set up on each user's computer
    3. Check to ensure the share folder in which the back end resides has the security setting allowing your user read/write access

Windows XP Access 2007
    I will check double check #1. How do I set up a front end on each user's computer? I will check the share folder security settings.
    Thanks

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Quote Originally Posted by slimjen View Post
    I will check double check #1. How do I set up a front end on each user's computer? I will check the share folder security settings.
    Thanks
    Since the front end has linked tables already linked to the back end, each front end serves as an independant application that will use the data from one single back end. All you have to do is copy the front end to each computer and have the user use the front end in their computer. Since the front end is now on independent computer, you must relink the tables via the network

Windows XP Access 2007
    Ok. In the shared folder on the network; I have split the database; created mdes from the frontend for each user and have them create a shortcut to their desktops. I also have ensured that defaut open mode is shared and default record locking is "edit record". I am concerned because I've been advised to uncheck "compact on close" Is this correct? Won't the database be vulnerable to crashing? I am also concerned that they can all access the database at once and save and edit records. I will be testing this morning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Ok. In the shared folder on the network; I have split the database; created mdes from the frontend for each user and have them create a shortcut to their desktops. I also have ensured that defaut open mode is shared and default record locking is "edit record". I am concerned because I've been advised to uncheck "compact on close" Is this correct? Won't the database be vulnerable to crashing? I am also concerned that they can all access the database at once and save and edit records. I will be testing this morning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Is the mde set up one each in the individual computers and a short cut points to the individual copy of the mde in the computer? For your second question about compact on close. The front end does not bloat up that much over time so you really don't have to set the compact on close for the front end. Another problem with the compact on close set up is that if your user does not have full privilege to the folder then the compact on close does not work. This is because Access creates a new temp db each time and after the compact, it deletes the actual db and rename the temp db to the name of the original db. If the user does not have full privilege to the folder the renaming of the db cannot happen and the process stops. You will end up with mulitipal copes of the temp db. As far as crashing, the chance is always there even if you compact everytime. This is because if the db is not closed correctly, it can get currupted. If this happens, just replace the currupted db with a new one. In my set up, I set up a update command prompt in each of the computers. When the db become currupted, the user just click on the command prompt and replace the db with a new one

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks Toyman for that detailed explaination on compact on close. Yes; the users mde points to their own mde created from the front end but on the shared drive. Thanks

David04845 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I created a database using access 2003 for multiple users. I split the database and put both ends on a shared drive. I also created a mde and had each user(3 of them) create a shortcut and send it to their desktop. I created a table;tblEmployees and logon form. They can each access the database with their login and passwords but the data is not saving. This is a dataentry database for the most part and they need to be able to create records and edit at the same time. What steps did I skip or what am I doing wrong please. thanks
    More than anything it is their network map.

Lets say you posted this on your network L:\

Your L may be \\server1\share = L
    they may have \\server 2\share = L

to confirm this have someone with the problem click start right click on my computer and map network drives and check.

To fix it open your linked table manage on the front end and change the L:\ to \\server 2\share\"path"

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.