johnhoare65 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

embed mailto in access sharepoint form

I have a problem with Access's SendEmail functionality: the reply-to of the email sent by SendEmail is "no-reply@sharepoint.com". No good for emailing my clients!

I am building an Access 2010/Sharepoint database for my self-employed business, to track clients and send out the occasional marketing email. So unless I'm missing something, SendEmail is no good.

I want to use Access/Sharepoint as a springboard to launch my GoogleMail web-client (ie, my browser's default mail client); To do this I guess I need to embed a URL in my Access web-form, with something like

<A HREF="mailto:joe@myclientcompany.com&subject=this month's offer&body=Hello Joe, just to let you know about this season's new offers.">Send email</A>

I've scouted around trying to see if this is possible, and have had no luck yet.

Has this been deliberately disallowed? If not, how to ... ??

Thanks!

Just to say I've solved my issue above "how to send emails using mailto, so as to launch default web-mail client gmail to send the email". Note that this was applied to a Sharepoint web-database, and as described below is for when using the database via a web browser.

In Access 2010 edit your form in "Layout" mode, and click on the globe icon in the ribbon's "design" tab. Click on an empty cell of the form, then in the "insert Hyperlink" popup, click "email address". Enter something (anything) in the fields to get a basic mailto link working.

Then bring up this link's Properties, and under the Format tab, edit the Hyperlink Address. The following string in Properties->Hyperlink worked for me, and enabled me to launch Gmail with an email personalised for my client:

= "mailto:" & ClientEmail & "?subject=John's bulletin&body=Dear " & Contact1 & TempVars!V1 & TempVars!V2 & TempVars!V3 & TempVars!V4

Note:

1) the "equals" sign at the beginning.

2) ClientEmail and Contact1 are variables that appear on my current form.

3) the permitted length of text-string is quite limited. I got around it and was able to generate verbose emails by generating paragraphs of text as TempVars upon launching the form, which are then strung together in Properties->Hyperlink ( TempVars!V2 & TempVars!V3 , etc).

4) To get carriage returns, use the following URLencoded string: %0D%0A
    So, a paragraph return is %0D%0A%0D%0A

5) This worked in Firefox but not in Internet Explorer. Firefox can be made to use Gmail as the default mail client, but I was unable to get IE to use a web email client; it wanted to launch a .exe instead.

But for mailing to multiple recipients with personalised message (mail merge), this looks promising:
    http://www.labnol.org/software/mail-merge-with-gmail/13289/

In Access (desktop client): With a form displaying a list of names and email addresses in front of you, click external data, Saved exports, and create a CSV file.NB: Then in Gmail, go to Contacts -> Groups. Under the “More” tab, click “import”, and import the CSV. It will auto-save with today’s date as name. Gmail limit is 500 emails per day. So send out in batches of 450 per day.

Higher level stuff:
    http://googleappsdeveloper.blogspot.com/2011/10/4-ways-to-do-mail-merge-using-google.html

Hope this helps .

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.