drexasaurus is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Access 2010 and SQL Azure

I am developing on SQL Azure with Access 2010 as a front end. I set up te linked tables, pass-through queries correctly and everything seemed to be fine.

A while later, though, I am starting to get "Call to ODBC Failed" errors (mostly timeout) on Occasion. Especially concerning large imports of data from Access to SQL Azure (which was tested and working in the original version). I have to restart the application in order to begin using the database again (not ideal for a real-life scenario).

I can set the Timeout to 0 on the database, I suppose, but that might not be best practice. Tried this with the second big query, but I just eventually got another error (was in a hurry out door, should have gotten a screen shot or something--sorry).

Does anyone have any experience with this, or perhaps have some relatable knowledge with SQL Server and Access in general?

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The only time I've seen Access function on the web is when paired with SharePoint. I've become a broken record in this forum on my stance with Access and the web but I honestly don't like it at all. php/MySQL. I have never heard the phrase "wow this works great" when it comes to an Access web interface. I know this isn't the kind of answer you're looking for. It's more of a heads-up to what you already have, and what you will continue to, run into.

Aurelius7 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    See my posts in the thread Access 2010 to SQL Azure migration in this forum. ODBC errors seem to just be a fact of life with Access, especially when paired with Azure which is picky about the way it retains and handles its connections. There are different ways to deal with some of these errors but not all of them are pretty. For instance, writing VBA to programmatically force a form to jump to the last record in its recordset then jump back to the first record (during the Form_Open event) and other such kludgey workarounds.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.