focosi is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Cannot import objects from secured database

Hello,
    I have 2 user-level secured .mdb databases using different workgroup files. The same user (X) belongs to the 2 workgroups. Owner of the first .mdb is set to a different user (Y), and the owner of the second database is set to "Unknown" (which I suppose means that the onwer user has been deleted from the workgroup, right ?).
    Now, when user X logs into the first database, he's unable to import objects from second database ("You have not the right permissions. Contact the administrator blah blah").

How can i fix this ? Is this related to ownership ? If yes, how can I change the ownership ? I cannot import to a new UNsecured database cause the same error occurs...
    Please help!

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Ownership of an existing database cannot be changed. But, if User X has administrater privilages then all other object's ownership can be changed.

The user can create a new database under his ownership and import all the objects, provided he has read permissions to data and objects and the objects are not hidden.

When a new Workgroup Information file is created three basic information: Name, Organization & WorkgroupId are provided. These are part of the Access Privilages Key along with the User Name and PersonalID given at the time of creating a User Name or Group Name.

If the first three information highlighted above are not common in both the Workgroup Information Files then it is difficult to establish cross-database access rights. User Name and PersonalId can be deleted and created new by the Administrator with new credentials.

• Let X User log-in using the Second workgroup information file.
    • Create a new Database.
    • Import all the objects (except the hidden ones) from the second database into the new database.
    • Login into the first database using the first Workgroup Information File and open the First database.
    • Import the objects from the new database.

Microsoft Access Security

focosi is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks, I actually solved my troubles by exporting required items from first (ULS) database to a new (UNsecured) .mdb and the importing from there into the second (ULS) database.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.