DavidShewan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Error running mde (made with Windows SP1) in Windows XP SP3

Hello,

I am having problems with a database that I am distributing to users using Access Runtime 2007 and an mde. The mde works fine when I run it on my computer, but some users are getting the following error when the database opens "The expression On Load you entered as the event property setting produces the following error: Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface". I had never had problems with previous versions of the database distributed as mde, just this latest release.

So far so bad. After a bit of web searching I managed to replicate the error on a computer I hadn't fired up for a while which was running Windows 7 without SP1. As predicted on the internet forum where I found the suggestion, when I installed SP1 the error disappeared and the mde works perfectly. The root of the problem seems to be that I installed SP1 on my PC recently (since the last successful release), and if you make an mde using Windows 7 SP1 you can't run that mde on a PC running base Windows 7 without SP1.

This managed to fix things for most of my users, apart from one who is using XP SP3. Again, I have laid my hands on a computer with XP SP3 which uses runtime to run mde files, and have replicated the error. So far I have established that SP3 is the latest service pack available for XP, and I have tried un-installing SP1 from my 32 bit Windows 7 PC in the hope that I would be able to make an mde successfully as I used to be able to pre-update. Now I can't open the mdb on which the mde is based. I'm just about to reinstall SP1 so that I can at least access my mdb, and am stumped about what to do to fix things for my XP user.

Having my user upgrade his operating system is not an option - he's not an employee of my company, and I want to be able to distribute an mde to any windows user as I used to be able to do before I was fool enough to install Windows 7 SP1.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Best wishes
    Dave

[PS This is my first post so I hope I am posting correctly]

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It sounds like you might have an ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) problem. With SP1 it changed the registry keys for ADO and has been causing problems like you describe for people. The problem is that you need to compile the database and create the mde file on the computer which has Windows XP on it. Because the database is now compiled on SP1, it won't work on a non-SP1 machine which is why you can't use it in your non-SP1 Windows 7 either.

Can you open the mdb file on your computer while holding shift down? If so, then you should be able to go to the VBA window and go to DEBUG > COMPILE to get it working again. You may need to do a DECOMPILE first (see this page for instructions), but save a copy just in case something goes wrong.

Works - thankyou!

Hi Bob, works like a dream, many thanks indeed.
    Dave

Further adventures, I have a new laptop and it has Windows 7 SP1 pre installed. Microsoft's website helpfully says: "Note: If you installed SP1 yourself, you can uninstall it. However, if your computer came with SP1 already installed, it can't be uninstalled." is there any way of compiling my databases to allow backward compatibility with older operating systems, so for example can I change the ADO registry keys back manually?

Best wishes, Dave

The only way really would be to use Virtual XP on Windows 7 (provided you can run Virtual XP on it and you have a version of Windows 7 which supports it - Professional or Ultimate). But you would then also need an additional license to install Access there.

Ho hum, well thanks Bob for all your help. Fingers crossed the guys at microsoft will fix this soon. Since my last post I found this post full of irate posts by programmers in a similar position.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...6-34f11c6b5a13

Best wishes,
    Dave

WillemdeNie is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    The only way really would be to use Virtual XP on Windows 7 (provided you can run Virtual XP on it and you have a version of Windows 7 which supports it - Professional or Ultimate). But you would then also need an additional license to install Access there.
    Hi again, some time ago you helped me a lot by giving the cause of my problem during making an access runtime version on a Windows 7 SP 1 machine;
    I'm now developing on an old XP machine. But I would like to go back to my new environment (Windows 7 on a much faster computer)

Do you know if there is already a solution from Microsoft? Or if there is one to expect soon?

Quote Originally Posted by WillemdeNie View Post
    Hi again, some time ago you helped me a lot by giving the cause of my problem during making an access runtime version on a Windows 7 SP 1 machine;
    I'm now developing on an old XP machine. But I would like to go back to my new environment (Windows 7 on a much faster computer)

Do you know if there is already a solution from Microsoft? Or if there is one to expect soon?
    The issue isn't likely going to be "fixed" as it is necessary for 64 bit systems and to have two ADO paths is highly unlikely. We can hope but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

OK, does that mean that I always have to develop on XP?

OK, does that mean that I always have to develop on XP?
    No, it means you have to compile the code on a Windows 7 SP1 machine for everyone who will need to run on Windows 7 SP1 and compile another copy on XP for those who need to run it in XP. The two won't be able to be intermingled but they can be used with the same backend but a copy from an XP machine can't go to a Windows 7 SP1 machine and vice-versa.

Now I understand; and how about vista? I think I have some vista 32 and 64 users.

Now I understand; and how about vista? I think I have some vista 32 and 64 users.
    I'm not 100% sure of that, but I believe that the ADO keys are the same for them as in Windows XP. So a compiled copy from Windows XP SHOULD work on Windows Vista. But one compiled on a Windows 7 SP1 machine won't.

One "final"question/remark. I compiled on an XP machine and runtime version of that works also fine on windows 7 Home premium SP1 (32 bits).
    So my conclusion is that 1 runtime version (created on XP) will be OK for all versions of windows Incl w & SP1

Am I right?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.