accesssux is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Form won't detect apostrophes in search box when looking up from my query

I'm no access buff: But I need some help! I have a form that searches by company name that run off these queries:

SELECT Contacts.[Prospect ID], Contacts.County, Contacts.Company, Contacts.Salesperson, Contacts.[Type of Business], Contacts.Title, Contacts.[Last Name], Contacts.[First Name], Contacts.[Location Address], Contacts.City, Contacts.State, Contacts.Zip, Contacts.[Office Phone], Contacts.Ext, Contacts.Fax, Contacts.[Cell Phone], Contacts.[Email Address], Contacts.[PO Box], Contacts.Customer, Contacts.Website, Contacts.[Reffered By], Contacts.[Alternate Phone], Contacts.[Contact 2], Contacts.[Proposal Date], Contacts.[Materials and Labor], Contacts.[Yearly Savings], Contacts.[KW saved], Contacts.[KWH /year saved], Contacts.[# New Fixtures], Contacts.[Installed project cost], Contacts.[Actual Savings], Contacts.[Installed # of Fixtures], Contacts.[Start Date], Contacts.[Action Plan], Contacts.[Level of Sale], Contacts.Prospect, Contacts.[Physical Data], Contacts.[Proposal Amount], Contacts.[Contingencies Removed], Contacts.[Power Company], Contacts.[Installed Date], Contacts.Notes, Contracts.[Open Contract], Contracts.[Contract Execution Date]
    FROM Contacts LEFT JOIN Contracts ON Contacts.[Prospect ID] = Contracts.[Prospect ID]

ORDER BY Contacts.Company;

THE SECOND ONE:

SELECT Contacts.[Prospect ID] AS [Contacts_Prospect ID], Contacts.County, Contacts.Company, Contacts.Salesperson, Contacts.[Type of Business], Contacts.Title, Contacts.[Last Name], Contacts.[First Name], Contacts.[Location Address], Contacts.City, Contacts.State, Contacts.Zip, Contacts.[Office Phone], Contacts.Ext, Contacts.Fax, Contacts.[Cell Phone], Contacts.[Email Address], Contacts.[PO Box], Contacts.Customer, Contacts.Website, Contacts.[Reffered By], Contacts.[Alternate Phone], Contacts.[Contact 2], Contacts.[Proposal Date], Contacts.[Materials and Labor], Contacts.[Yearly Savings], Contacts.[KW saved], Contacts.[KWH /year saved], Contacts.[# New Fixtures], Contacts.[Installed project cost], Contacts.[Actual Savings], Contacts.[Installed # of Fixtures], Contacts.[Start Date], Contacts.[Action Plan], Contacts.[Level of Sale], Contacts.Prospect, Contacts.[Physical Data], Contacts.[Proposal Amount], Contacts.[Contingencies Removed], Contacts.[Power Company], Contacts.[Installed Date], Contracts.[Prospect ID] AS [Contracts_Prospect ID], Contracts.[Open Contract], Contracts.[Power Co Rate Schedule], Contracts.[Project Name], Contracts.[Contract Amount], Contracts.[Contract Execution Date], Contracts.[Credit Required], Contracts.[Rebate Claim # (or Electric Meter #)], Contracts.[Preapproval App Sent Date], Contracts.[Preapproval App Sent Amount], Contracts.[Recieved Preapproval Date], Contracts.[Recieved Preapproval Amount], Contracts.[PreInstall Completed Date], Contracts.[Proper Contract w EPS Codes], Contracts.[PreInstall Inspection], Contracts.[Initial EPS Spreadsheet w Codes], Contracts.[Initial Power Co App Sent], Contracts.[Initial Power Co Lighting Form Sent], Contracts.[Power Co Preapproval Recieved], Contracts.[Credit Approved], Contracts.[Credit App Sent], Contracts.[Credit App Recieved], Contracts.[Entered in Peachtree], Contracts.[PostInstall Date Completed], Contracts.[Final EPS Spreadsheet w Codes], Contracts.[EPS PostInstall Inspection], Contracts.[Final Power Co App Sent], Contracts.[Final Power Co Lighting Form Sent], Contracts.[Final Power Co Approval Recieved], Contracts.[Final Draft Invoice Done], Contracts.[Installation Dates], Contracts.[Rebate Invoice Done], Contracts.[Rebate Final App Sent Date], Contracts.[Power Co Inspection Date], Contracts.[Final Requested Amount], Contracts.[Final Rebate Amount] AS [Contracts_Final Rebate Amount], Contracts.[Rebate Payable to], Contracts.[Rebate Paid], Contracts.[Rebate Recieved Date] AS [Contracts_Rebate Recieved Date], Contracts.[Contract Paid in Full], Contracts.Notes AS Contracts_Notes
    FROM Contacts LEFT JOIN Contracts ON Contacts.[Prospect ID] = Contracts.[Prospect ID]
    WHERE (((Contracts.[Open Contract])=Yes))
    ORDER BY Contacts.Company;

Don't know how to fix it.

Helen is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I had a similar problem with a text field that could commonly be expected to have apostrophes in it. To deal with it, before running a query, I replaced all the occurrences of the apostrophe with what looks like an apostrophe, but isn't the keyboard version, but is actually alt-239.

Since the RunSQL statement needs to be a string (in double quotes), strings WITHIN that are identified using apostrophes - hence your problem when an apostrophe appears in a string field.

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE " & strTable & " SET " & strTable & "!" & strField & " = Replace(" & strTable & "!" & strField & ",""'"",'´');"
    in the above, after the last strField is: & ",""apostrophe"",'alt-239');"
    You can Create Query to make an UPDATE query to do the same thing of course, without it being coded as a RunSQL.

Do what you need to (run your big query in your post) then do the opposite replace business to put the apostrophes back:

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE " & strTable & " SET " & strTable & "." & strField & " = Replace(" & strTable & "." & strField & ",'´',""'"");"
    in the above, after the last strField is: & ",'alt-239',""apostrophe"");"

Solved my problem perfectly, hope it does the same for you.

Helen,
    Thank you so much for your reply, and I'm sure its very helpful - but I am soooo confused. I don't know SQL or where I put that code in. I'm sure its pretty easy but, do you think you could run that by me in simpler terms? Is there a difference between SQL and RunSQL? And how would I get to the runSQL?
    Danielle

P.S. I understand the idea with the apostrophes. But maybe I'm looking at the wrong code. There doesnt seem to be any apostrophes in my current code. Hmmm.

Helen is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sorry - I have this as code in an event.

You could do it as an update query that you run before those you posted, in the 'Update to' box, put Replace(TableName!FieldName,"'","´")
    to replace the apostrophe with the single high dash (alt-239)

and then have another to put the apostrophes back after your posted queries run.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.