cyclone777 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

With owneraccess option

I have a multiuser database secured by the system.mdw file. In the database I have a make table query that various members of a user group can run. I have added the following sql statment to the make table query to allow all user to create the table. WITH OWNERACCESS OPTION;

My problem is, it still will not grant access to the resulting table to run the query, only to the user/owner of the make table query?

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Yes, I faced this problem too. What I did was Joined the Users into a particular Group Account and assigned Modify Design permission to the Group Account. All the users belongs to that group can overwrite the target table.

It is not advisable to use the system.mdw (the default workgroup information file) for Access Security settings. You should create a separate Workgroup Information file and install it on Server, if your application have several Users.

To read more about Microsoft Access Security refer the following blog post:

Microsoft Access Security

Windows XP Access 2003
    It still does not work. I had already created the user group for the make table query (as stated in the original post). Granted access rights to all in for the query. I also changed the query property to run permissions of the "owner", instead of the With OwnerAccess option in the sql statement (thinking this may help). Still, if one user of the group runs the make table query it will not let another user of the group run the make table query. Error message that the user does not have access to the table.

It looks like the table needs to have permission for others to access. Currently the access rights to the table after being created is for the individual user who ran the make table query..

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I forgot to mention something earlier. You should change the ownership of the Target Table to the User Group-Account.

1. Select Tools-->User and Group Permissions...
    2. Select the Change Owner Tab. You can see the Object List and the Current Owner of each object.
    3. Select Table in the Object Type control, put check-mark in the Group option and select the User Group-Name in the New Owner control.
    4. Click on the Change Owner command button.

Windows XP Access 2003
    That does not work. Even with changing the owner of the table to the user group. when the member of the group runs the make table query the resulting tables owner is changed to the users name. Now you would think that run Permissions would cover the problem. It does not, as another member of the group still can not run the make table query as they continue to get the error (access to the table.)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.