Kevo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Count unique records - no duplicates

Good Afternoon,

Can you tell me how to have the "Count" function in a query only display unique count?

i.e. - I want to count total "Loads" per "Department", trouble is that "Department" is only referenced in the "LoadDetails" table....

LoadID - 19, Department - Surgery, Instrument - Clamp, Qty - 2

LoadID - 19, Department - Surgery, Instrument - Scissors, Qty - 4

etc...

I want the query to count the above as 1 Load for Surgery on specified date.

Thanks for any help!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Try a report. Use the report Grouping & Sorting with aggregate calcs. Group by date and Department. Do Count calc in the Department group header. If you want to show other details of records that contribute to this, such as the instruments, put those fields in the Detail section.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thank you June7, but I am really looking for a query or other way to display this info...

I have attached my db if anyone cares to look at the issue.

The funtionality I would like is under the "Main Menu", click "Query Menu" and see the Total Loads Query....It gives user option to enter date range.

I would like to add a combo box for "Department" and have the total loads be total for "Department" during the date range.

Thanks for looking.

Well I found this and it seems to work as far as returning distinct record count. It also does not count nulls.

SELECT count(*) FROM (SELECT DISTINCT LoadID FROM tblLoadDetails WHERE LoadID is not NULL);

Now, how am I gonna get it to return count for only certain "Departments" according to user input in combobox? I know I want something like:

Where DepartmentID = Forms!frmQueryMenu.cboDepartment but, where to put it in the above statement?

Any ideas?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Try this:

SELECT Count(Q1.DepartmentID) AS CountOfDepartmentID, Q1.DepartmentID, Q1.LoadDate
    FROM (SELECT [tblLoadDetails].DepartmentID, tblLoad.LoadDate FROM tblLoadDetails LEFT JOIN tblLoad ON [tblLoadDetails].LoadID = tblLoad.LoadID WHERE tblLoad.LoadID Is Not Null GROUP BY [tblLoadDetails].DepartmentID, tblLoad.LoadDate) AS Q1 GROUP BY Q1.DepartmentID, Q1.LoadDate
    HAVING (((Q1.DepartmentID)=[Forms]![frmQueryMenu].[cbxDept]) AND ((Q1.LoadDate)>=[Forms]![frmQueryMenu].[btnStartDate] And (Q1.LoadDate)<[Forms]![frmQueryMenu].[btnEndDate]));

I do wonder why tblLoadDetails records would not have LoadID
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.