winsonlee is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Permission accessing Access from other computer

I am currently using ms access 2003.the access file is put on a network drive.

http://www.databasedev.co.uk/permissions.html
    Using the link above i tried creating permission with two username
    1) Admin
    2) Users

When i open the access file using my own computer the permission is working. But when i open the access file on other computer, somehow other user is able to open the file without asking for username and password. what is this issue due to ?

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Permission accessing Access from other computer

When you install a database on a Network accessible to several Users you must create a Common Workgroup Information File (a database with .mdw extension) and install it on the Network first. Run the option Tools- ->Security- ->Workgroup Administrator to do this (for Access2003).

All the Workstations should run this program and select the Join option to select this file as their common workgroup information file. After creating and Joining this file you can create User Account and User Group Accounts from Access and secure your database as you did now. You should know few things before you assign permissions to Users or Groups otherwise no effect on your settings.

When MS-Access is installed all machines are installed with a default workgroup information file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\1033\System.mdw (...\1033 is language folder -US English). This is the file you have now used for setting permissions. Others when try to open the database the default system.mdw file on their machine will be used and your permission settings on your machine have no effect on them.

To know more about Access Security Settings read the Article : Microsoft Access Security and other related topics. Don't forget to read the comment section where I have replied several queries raised by readers.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.