Stealth is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Access Database no show?

Hello everybody,

I am a noob, so i would really like to apologize in advance for the stupid question i will probably make...

I have a programm which has access db.

I am in a need for a translation in greek. I found the DB in English language, made the translation, stored it, but nothing happens when i start the program. It starts in English as it was used to...

To make the translation i have changed from OLE to Text, and after the translation , changed back to OLE.

Am i missing something in my effort?

If anyone could help i would be grateful

Regards,
    Yiannis

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Could you explain further how you made the translation - menu items, code?

Google: Access database translation

Check this thread http://www.proz.com/forum/translator..._database.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hello again,

I have opened the Access, opened the database that i wanted to translate, selected the field, ie. "text_2" in my case, changed "OLE Object" to "text" changed the fields i wanted to see in greek, changed back to "OLE Object" and saved.

When i ran the program , no change is made...

June7 is offline VIP
    I am still not finding the "OLE Object" setting you describe.

Do I:

1. Open Access software
    2. Open a db project
    3. Open a table
    4. Select a field
    5. ?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    i think, on the left side, there is the field, and right click, type or something...

Tomorrow morning i will open the pc in the office, and let you know with screenshots...

Windows XP Access 2007
    Ok, I am in the office now, and here is what i see.

On the left side there is a field named All Tables. My wanted table is "text_2"

I right click on it and i click the second choice which must be in English : Show Design? or something similar... (Unfortunately there is greek language)

Then it opens a windowwith two columns "field name" and "type of data"

I choose the field called "text_content" and change it's type of data to "OLE object"

Then i make the translation and turn everything back as it where.

The changes are there for me to see when checking again, but when i am running the program, nothing happens.

I hope i helped you to help me...

June7 is offline VIP
    I don't understand how changing the datatype of a field relates to this issue. Exactly how do you 'make the translation'. Is this a setting in the project?

I Googled this topic and all the hits lead to either third party software or a service to translate a db. Nothing indicated this can be done within the db.

Also, in early posts you say you are changing from OLE to text and back then in latest you say text to OLE and back.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I don't understand how changing the datatype of a field relates to this issue. Exactly how do you 'make the translation'. Is this a setting in the project?

I Googled this topic and all the hits lead to either third party software or a service to translate a db. Nothing indicated this can be done within the db.

Also, in early posts you say you are changing from OLE to text and back then in latest you say text to OLE and back.
    As long as it concerns the last paragraph, sorry, it was my mistake. The early posting was the correct one.

So, to the point now, is it easy for you to direct me to some way of translating the contents of a database?

i.e. , How to extract the contents? How to translate? and how to reimport the translated text?

I thought of showing you screenshots, but everything is in greek, so it would only probably confused the conversation more than it already is.

Thanks for your prompt help ...

Windows XP Access 2007
    I exported the file from Acces to excel, change what i wanted, and when reimporting from excel, i follow the guide and ...

"Could not replace data in table or query 'text_2' "

This message appears and doesn't let me reimport...

Thanks

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post

I would like to tell you one more time what am I doing.

-I am opening the DB.
    -I select the table i want to translate its contents (in my case "text_2")
    -I right click on it and choose "Design Display" (or something similar , it is in greek...) It is the second from above.
    -There are three lines and two columns
    -The second column says : "Data type"
    -I change the second line, second column from "OLE object" to "text"
    ***Before i make the above mentioned change, when i open the DB, the only thing i see in the related column of the table is "Binary data"***
    -I save the changes
    -I open the DB
    -Now i can see text ,
    -I choose the words i want to translate
    -i make the replacement
    -save the changes
    -right click on DB
    -Click on "design display" (or something similar, it is all greek )
    -Change back to "OLE object" from "text"
    -Save
    -Run the program
    -Everything is still in English....
    -Take the Sledgehammer
    -Smash the PC.
    Notes:
    1-The text is saved to the database, i tried many times to change back and forth from OLE to text, but the greek phrases are there.
    2-I have tried to change just one letter of one word from English to English, in order not to mess with the "content_size_bytes" field, nothing happened.

Any help would be appreciated

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.