housec is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

No password and no administrator any more - help!

Our organization hired someone to design us a database. This database contains two decades worth of sensitive scientific data. After a couple of migrations, new computer refreshes, etc. No one can access this database any more.

We contacted the old programer and they have no idea how to fix it (we didn't hire well!) and cannot remember any of the old passwords.

The Dbase has a FE and BE files, its setup some kind of a admin user and accounts for all the scientists. When I open some kind of a wkgp file I can see the list of users and when I use an online password crack program I can see all the passwords are still ok but when I click on the FE or BE files I get the following message:

"You do not have the necessary permissions to use the 'W:\dBase\TMDB\BE_TMDB.mdb' object. Have your administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you."

According to my permissions on the computer I have full access so I must assume this is something built into the database itself.

Also, if it helps, I remember we had to have files installed on our computer (C:\ folder) to allow us access but what with computer refreshes and the like, these files do not exist.

We are using Access 11 (2003) SP2 if that helps (the DB was created in an older version but I don't know which one)

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I'm not sure if this will work...

Can you find the back end file on your server in the location specified:W:\dBase\TMDB\BE_TMDB.mdb ?

The backend will hold all of the data (in the tables) while the front end usually holds all of the forms, code, queries, reports etc (i.e. the user interface).

If you are able to find the back end file, move or copy the file to your local hard drive and see if you can open the tables directly (just double click a table name). If not, create a new database file (with whatever version you are using now) and import all of the tables (structure and data) and see if you can open the tables in the new database.

Have all copies of the front end file been lost or is at least 1 still available? If the front end file is no longer available, the user interface will have to be recreated from scratch.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.