Madmax is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Digital signatures and security info

is there a way to setup security using digital signatures? Basically, I dont want someone not the commander able to access the database on his level of security. I am a total newb in the security side of databases so if you know some good websites on it that would be great too. Any info at all would be wonderful.

I want to make it to where when they open the database it recognizes there digital signature and send them to the form that they would use for there level of security. some only able to run reports to others to fill out certain logs, to adding/updating people, and lastly, full access.

Thoughts? am I above my head?

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Digital signatures (as far as Access is concerned) are just a way to state that the design of the database file has not been altered. It has nothing to do with the security of the data within.

If you really need secure security on the database, you will probably need to go to using SQL Server (or SQL Server Express 2008 R2) as the backend where you can use Active Directory and user groups (or even SQL Security) for being able to read certain items. There you can apply security so that certain stored procedures won't run, certain tables or views won't be available for certain users, etc.

Madmax is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Would something like a Macro to open at the beginning that opens a dialog box. then depending on the drop down field on the box and the text(PW) in the Field it send you to a certain screen. I figure from there I can use modal's to ensure they only go to the screens they have access too. There are only three groups of people that need access anyways and one of those just for certain reports no info entered. The other would have his own forms anyways because all he does is sign off on a log inside the DB. Is this doable? It looks able but going to take some work what you think? BTW, They wouldnt know how to pull the navigation pane back up or anything. lol I am having to make a suggestion box table so that they can tell me what reports they want made for it.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You can build your own security. In fact, here are a couple of examples:

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=190800

http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/f...dsmdb-beginner

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.