evictme is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2000

Multi-User Front End Access Database Unable to Edit Forms

Hello All,

I recently split my database into FE and BE and it is going to be updated by several users. I have a few questions...

1. Currently, I log into the FE database as a power user and I am unable to edit any of the forms, they indicate Record is Not Updateable

2. Once users are in there changing records and adding information is that information automatically fed into the the BE tables or do i have to do something special to synchronize all the information?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

- Edwin

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    1. If you used Access Level Security, you will need to assign the permissions you need to each user that needs them. This is best done by creating groups that have the ability to do different things. You can have a group that is allowed to edit certain tables, run queries, etc. And then you can have a group that is allowed to edit only one table. You can then assign the people to as many groups as they need to do their job.

2. Yes, the data, if it is linked to the backend is actually going directly in there and would be able to be seen by all users. Any currently open forms may need to be requeried for changes from others to show up.

Thanks boblarson,

1. I tested this out by giving a low end user access to all the tables and forms to no avail. It seems that I run into this issue only when access the DB through a localized Front-End dbase copy. Perhaps i did something wrong when installing copies on the local computers...

2. So any information entered directly into the forms through a Front-End localized Dbase will go directly into the backend dbase and be visible to all users immediately (pending form requering)?

thanks again for your help.

1. Do you log in to the database? Are you accessing it through a shortcut which has the path to MSAccess.exe, the MDW file and the database itself?

2. yes.

I log into the database but I am not accessing it through a shortcut, I copied the FE file to each PC and then linked it to the the BE file through the table linking feature.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    That means every time you edit the FE design and provide every user a new copy, the table links will have to be rebuilt. Check this thread for alternative http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...tc-324677.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by evictme View Post
    I log into the database but I am not accessing it through a shortcut,.
    That sounds like you might not have set up the Access User Level Security properly then. So what steps did you go through to add the security to the database? (try to include every step you did as it is important)

I went into the workgroup administrator under tools and created a new workgroup. Included all the users i wanted on their, gave them groups and permissions, joined the group. logged in on my pc and it worked fine. I copied the FE database onto a usb key along with a shortcut with the necessary information. Copied the shortcut and the FE database onto a user's computer, opened the FE database without the shortcut, linked the tables to the shared folder with the main BE. customized the shortcut to fit the user. launched the shortcut and I keep getting the notice that "Recordset is not updateable" what am I missing? I would also like to add that the database is housed on a shared folder that is located on my computer, this shared folder is available to everyone. Should i be doing this differently?

Okay, first mistake is joining the workgroup.

Second mistake is not using a proper shortcut which references the MDW (workgroup file).

Third mistake, you didn't remove the user named "Admin" from the group named "Admins" (don't do it unless you have another user in the group named Admins). Because of that, anyone can get in and do things without logging in.

I hope you have a copy of your database before applying the security and then you need to read this Security FAQ document carefully and then follow the directions about setting up the security here:
    http://databases.about.com/od/tutori...ersecurity.htm

Note: (when setting up this, don't select the option to secure all databases as the default)

I do have the correct wrkgroup in the shortcut link and I did follow those steps when setting up the security except for deleting the admin user after creating the first user...is this a problem?

I do have the correct wrkgroup in the shortcut link and I did follow those steps when setting up the security except for deleting the admin user after creating the first user...is this a problem?
    If you don't create a user and assign them to the Admin Group (you'll need to log in as them to set all of the permissions for everyone) and you faild to remove the Admin user from the Admins Group then your database is just like it isn't secured. Anyone can open your database and do whatever.

see im not having that issue at all. The security is working fine, no matter who tries to access the database it prompts for a username and password. However, i am unable to access it through the network sometimes, it will say file could not be locked (or something like that). Im not too sure how all this relates with not being able to modify forms once ive taken all the steps to setup on another PC.

However, i am unable to access it through the network sometimes, it will say file could not be locked (or something like that).
    I'm thinking you are getting the message:

The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on Machine 'XXXXX' that prevents it from being opened or locked
    Which means that you, or someone else, has the database open and something in design view which can't be in order for someone to use it. This can happen if you try to open the database a second time when you have the first instance open and have something in design view.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.