Trouble counting items in a report

I created a database to keep track of families, dependents and financial information for an organization and am having trouble with something. I have a table which contains information for an applicant (head of household), co-applicant (spouse) and their basic information. I have a separate table for dependent information since there can be multiple dependent associated with an applicant. All tables are linked by a unique ID number given to each applicant. The problem I have is in my summary report. I am attempting to get a family size. The method I am trying to use is to have three text boxes. In the first box I ‘count’ the applicant (1). The second box ‘counts the co-applicant (1 or 0). In the third box I am attempting to ‘count’ the dependents. If I have more than one dependent in the table relating to the ID number, all the information in my report is duplicated by the number of dependents I have . Any assistance or ideas would be appreciated.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Instead of using it from a single query, you should have it either as a subreport (for the dependents) or using a DCount instead.

Thanks for the response Bob. I have all my data including dependents in as a subreport. I have multiple items in most subreports but the dependents subreport is the only one that duplicates my data, I will look into Dcount though.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.