crispy-bacon is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Distinct for one Column

Hi so my problem is as follows, I have a query that uses multiple related tables to output a table along the lines of the following:

Code:
    |Proposal|          Proponent|     info1|      info2|    etc.
      |1 |                              Bill |                        ... |             ...
      |1 |                              Steve |               ... |          ...
      |2 |                             Mary |                   ... |             ...
    The problem I have is each proposal can have multiple proponents and I would simply like one record to be shown for each proposal (they are partial matches so distinct row and distinct do not work). So I've searched the forum and I've seen a few solutions.

First one used the Partition By clause to partition the table but I am using Access 2003 so that is not an option. The other solutions I have seen have mostly been for values from the same table using Group By. I figured there is no reason as to why it shouldn't work in my situation but I'm having trouble getting it to work (I am new to access/sql/relational databases).

If more details are required I can post them later as I am not currently on the machine with the database but any help with aggregate functions or Group By or another work around would be appreciated.

Thanks

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

crispy-bacon is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for the response it did help figure out Group By. I managed to get it to work how i would like, I didn't realize every field had to be part of an aggregate funtion so I put all the info1, info2... fields in a MIN() since they are all equivalent for each individual proposal anyways and that did the trick.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.