fdelval is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

what options do i have to protect my work?

Hello,
    I have a server-client access databases setup.

SERVER.mdb has 3 tables and 3 reports with custom code.

client1.mdb
    client2.mdb
    client3.mdb
    clients link that 3 tables and uses forms and querys.

I have never worked with extra security but, now i must use it.

1)
    How can i secure my clients?
    I only know to "hide" the database window, so users only interact with the forms, but they learned to open it with the SHIFT key pressed.

2)
    How can i secure the server?
    If the server is shared, users can browse to its folder.
    If the delete the Write permissions for it, so nobody can delete it, users cant write...

So, what options can i use?

thanks in advance

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    any more info here? what's the B/E?? others might be better at this than me. one person that comes to mind is PKSTORMY. He talks a lot about security on here, when he's posting. Might consider sending him a message.

Also, what exactly is the problem? What do you want them to be able to do and NOT do?? that's really the question, right?? as far as the SHIFT key option, the web has code to disable that. it's just a google away. I even have FAQ posted on the AWF board that offers the code.

fdelval is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    any more info here? what's the B/E?? others might be better at this than me. one person that comes to mind is PKSTORMY. He talks a lot about security on here, when he's posting. Might consider sending him a message.

Also, what exactly is the problem? What do you want them to be able to do and NOT do?? that's really the question, right?? as far as the SHIFT key option, the web has code to disable that. it's just a google away. I even have FAQ posted on the AWF board that offers the code.
    Hello mate,
    What i want?
    - i want users to ONLY use the forms i created

What i dont want?
    - users to: 1) delete the server 2) enter design mode and copy/modify the code 3) browse my tables and see desing

I'll take a look at the SHIFT key.

thank you.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    again, WHAT IS THE B/E you are using????? B/E = BACKEND

for getting rid of the SHIFT hack: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=177441

drexasaurus is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Thumbs up

One issue of this is making sure that what you deploy to the user is different from what you develop on. I would give the users an executable only file, this will prevent them from making changes, although not from making queries that may/may not give them access to stuff you don't want. I used a custom ribbon to prevent this, but I don't know how you would implement this on your version.

Create some function that makes all the changes to the developing front end before you are ready to put it out there. I made a function that ensrues I am not running the code from the place I develop (to make sure I don't lose the SHIFT key override myself), and then changes the settings I want programmatically. Here is a snippit:
    Code:
            Application.CurrentDb.Properties("AllowSpecialKeys") = False
            Debug.Print "Turned off special keys..."
            Application.CurrentDb.Properties("StartUpShowDbWindow") = False
            Debug.Print "Turned off nav bar..."
            Application.SetOption "Show Hidden Objects", False
            Debug.Print "Hid hidden objects..."
            Application.SetOption "Show System Objects", False
            Debug.Print "Hid system objects..."
            SetBypassProperty (False)
            Debug.Print "Turned off bypass key..."
    SetBypassProperty is simply a names function I made for that code you can find on the web that gets rid of that bypass. Then, make it into an executable only format, and you have decent restriction of privaledges to your users as to what they can see and not. I think most of these settings will work on your version.

As far as the server, I don't know. I had "the server guy" make files non-deletable, although still usable for databases before, but that's out of my knowledge.

drvo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Hi

I have one question. It is not directly related to this post, but I don't want to open new thread for every single question I have.

I'm interested if there is any way to give "license" to user, i.e. to set password that is valid for let's say 1 month or 1 year and after that period new password is set?

David04845 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fdelval View Post
    Hello mate,
    What i want?
    - i want users to ONLY use the forms i created

What i dont want?
    - users to: 1) delete the server 2) enter design mode and copy/modify the code 3) browse my tables and see desing

I'll take a look at the SHIFT key.

thank you.
    1) delete the server
    you mean the database? They cant delete it if its open =)

open the database in run time mode with a command line switch (rename the file ext or make a bat file)
    2) enter design mode and copy/modify the code
    3) browse my tables and see desing

David04845 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drvo View Post
    Hi

I have one question. It is not directly related to this post, but I don't want to open new thread for every single question I have.

I'm interested if there is any way to give "license" to user, i.e. to set password that is valid for let's say 1 month or 1 year and after that period new password is set?

No, (or not that i know of)

what you can do is set a vba code to search for a file on a shared or network drive then when you don't want them on it anymore delete their file and their application wont open.

you could also make a deployable package to install this file on their desktop so only they can run it, then if want to take them off rename their file in the database VBA to anything but the file they have and its locked.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.