meenxip is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Post Ms-Access 2010 Database user and group level permission

Dear All,

I want to set permission for Access 2010 databse object wise, per user or group base.

I read many links on internet, i am not able to find tool menu for user level security wizard.

Let me know how the user wise permission can be set for Ms-access 2010 database, for each object. i.e. some user has permission on xyz forms and queries, reports, where as some other user has permission on abc forms and queries and reports.

Also is it possible without coding? or if i am suppose to write code for it, can you give any sample for it.

Thanks in advance,

Meenxip

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    No it can not, natively. This feature set was dropped in 07. Not many really miss it.

Developers role their own. Set up a UserTable with grouping levels of some sort identified in a permission field for each user.

Have users log in so their permission level is established.

Plan ahead so that permission levels is auto entered into appropriate records, queries, etc.

Hope this helps.

celito is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    No it can not, natively. This feature set was dropped in 07. Not many really miss it.

Developers role their own. Set up a UserTable with grouping levels of some sort identified in a permission field for each user.

Have users log in so their permission level is established.

Plan ahead so that permission levels is auto entered into appropriate records, queries, etc.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks NTC for that. I have been struggling myself. It's nice to know that developers don't miss the user wizards in 2007. How is a UserTable, and grouping levels set up? Can't seem to figure this out; some tips would be greatly appreciated.

celito is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Just searched around, I think I have an idea now about the UserTable and the login stuff. Thanks NTC.

Re: Security

Yes - as mentioned, dropped as of the 07 version. Security was an ugly monster that most people were not willing to tackle. Much easier to roll your own user tables and control logins yourself!

focosi is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    ...anyway you could create an empty database on a PC with old version of Access, set user-level security, save as .mdb, and all user-level security settings will be available again when you open the file with Access 2010.
    Be aware that there are softwares (easily available on the web) that can hack user-level security and show users passwords, so Access should never to be considered "safe" !

zeldakr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    Yes this was dropped.
    BUT if you do not intend to make use of the new functionality like me as I only do maintenance on old DB.
    I was able to do the following in Access 2010

Select Menu option File
    Select Menu option Options below the Help
    in the 'Choose commands from' drop down select All Commands
    Scroll down to 'Users and Permissions'

You will need to add a 'New Group' to the list on the right hand before adding it the the group.
    When done select OK
    Work as per normal Access 2003

sherryb41 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    thanks zeldakr, I was wanting to know how to do that without using VBA code!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.