imakemedia is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 97

Is this possible on my work computer?

Hi. I'm looking to create a database for customer callbacks. This is what I'd like:

A Userform (where the team Members will put callback information in)

An admin form (where the call-takers will see what calls they need to make) and be able to run reports.

My problem: I have limited to no rights on the companies IT network as I don't need them, and have basic access to access.

I am trying to build the following structure:

Userform --------> Database <--------> Call-taker

I need to know the technical terms for multiple users to be able to add information to the database, and for the call-takers to be able to run queries on the information as it's being updated.

Possible solution: It is not ESSENTIAL that multiple users enter information at the same time, but it is essential that the call-takers are able to open the reports based on live information. The volume of information will not be that high, but I need the call-takers to run reports as the users are inputting the information if need be without closing their form.

Is this possible, or do I need to have a server etc? I've heard of FE / BE and this sounds ideal (from what I understand of it).

There are other systems that do different things on our work computers, but none of them do what I am proposing.

I know it's a big task for a newbie, but I gotta do something to keep me awake, lol.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Are you asking if it can be done on your computer instead of a network server? As long as the folder on your PC is shared so other users can access it, sure. It's unconventional, but possible. One of the reasons it's normally on a server is so it gets backed up properly, which client PC's are often not set up for.

You still want the FE/BE configuration (commonly called a "split" application). You'd have the BE on your PC, each of the other users would have a copy of the FE. In a split application, since everyone is pointing to the same BE data, everyone is dealing with live data.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

imakemedia is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 97
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Are you asking if it can be done on your computer instead of a network server?
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was looking to have the back end on my system, and the front end on the team's computers. That's great, thanks again for the tip. .

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem, and welcome to the site!
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.