snoopy2003 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Backend password protect - row level locking is ignored

Hello,

I split my DB to backend and front end.

When I set a password to my backend I got this message: "Encrypting with a block cipher is incompatible with row level locking. Row level locking will be ignored".

My DB is multi user so I wish to avoid same record edits.

How can I protect my backend with password in multi user application ?

Thank you

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I'm guessing you tried to encrypt the actual backend mdb/accdb file itself. This would not be recommended.

The backend mdb/accdb needs to have both read AND WRITE permissions to it for ALL users. If one user doesn't have WRITE permissions as well as READ permissions, that user will corrupt the *.ldb file and prevent others from opening the frontend/backend.

You can use a few tricks to protect the backend mdb/accdb such as setting the tables attributes to hidden or maximizing a form to hide them (I personally like this simple trick:https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...dbs-10199.html since it records when anyone opens the backend mdb or https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...tems-7878.html).

jiriki is offline Novice

ERror is OK

For the life of me I cannot find the link which was do an Access 2010 Advanced how to.. looked like a class booklet, so sorry about not having a source.

However, it specified that the error is OK. By default row locking is enabled in all 2007 db's and means that when a record is edited it is protected (i.e. locked) by being 'encrypted', but nothing else is. By enabling db wide encryption (i.e. block cipher) the entire DB is being encrypted. It doesn't prevent 'row locking', simply that it will no longer be using an encryption method to 'lock' it.

At least that is how I took it. I can confirm that I click OK on this alert and tested editing a record and tried to edit the same record in another form that pulled the record dynamically and received a lock error.

So your concerns regarding protecting records in a multi-user environment is still enforced... *ahem* at least as long as you are properly pulling records so that they are indeed 'locked' vs. the last edit wins effect, but that is a different issue.

jiriki is offline Novice

Btw...

BTW... before a troll posts "why am I answering an old post"... I came across this post today which was replicated in about another 15 Google hits on searching this error message and there is not a good answer. Responding to old posts is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it enhances the thread. Just because it's old does not make it irrelavent!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.