SFC is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Macro help

Can anyone help me with a macro or code. I have a text box in a form and a check box next to the text box. I would like to use the check box to determine if the contents of the text box will print. So if the check box is checked (True) then what ever is in the text box will print otherwise if not checked then it does not print.

Is a marco the best way to do this? If so can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thank you,
    Steve

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If the form is going to remain open when the report opens, you could just add an expression into either the report's recordsource query or as a field on the report itself. The expression in the query or as the control source of a field on the report might look like this: =IIF(Forms!MyFormName!MyCheckBoxName = True,[myTextBoxFieldName],"") where [myTextBoxFieldName] is actually a field in the table... or =IIF(Forms!MyFormName!MyCheckBoxName = True,Forms!MyFormName!myTextBoxFieldName,"") if you want to specifically grab what is the value of the textbox on the form.

Thank you pkstormy for taking the time to reply, I'll give it a try!

Hi pkstormy,
    I'm trying to add your info into my report but having a little trouble becuse of my in experience, maybe you can help me.
    In my report I have a text field "Note-1", this text field currently shows what is in the form text boxt with this control source; =[Forms]![Form1]![Note1])

I tried adding the expression you offered like this; =[Forms]![Form1]![Note1]=IIf([Forms]![Form1]![CheckNote1]=False,[Note-1],"")

This gets flagged by Access and states "Invalid Control Property: Control Source" and "Circular reference"

So when I do a print preview of the report when the check box is true the Note-1 field displays "0".
    When the check box is false it displays "#Type!"

I will continue to try to work it out but if you have any more comments that would be great!

Thanks,
    Steve

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SFC View Post
    Hi pkstormy,
    I'm trying to add your info into my report but having a little trouble becuse of my in experience, maybe you can help me.
    In my report I have a text field "Note-1", this text field currently shows what is in the form text boxt with this control source; =[Forms]![Form1]![Note1])

I tried adding the expression you offered like this; =[Forms]![Form1]![Note1]=IIf([Forms]![Form1]![CheckNote1]=False,[Note-1],"")

This gets flagged by Access and states "Invalid Control Property: Control Source" and "Circular reference"

So when I do a print preview of the report when the check box is true the Note-1 field displays "0".
    When the check box is false it displays "#Type!"

I will continue to try to work it out but if you have any more comments that would be great!

Thanks,
    Steve

You combined the two examples (one example was: =[Forms]![Form1]![Note1] - for retrieving the value from the form (and will be the same for every record)) and the other example was: MyExpressionFieldAnyThingIWantToNameIt: IIf([Forms]![Form1]![CheckNote1]=False,[Note-1],"") - for setting it up as an expression in a query in the recordsource (for grabbing the [Note-1] value from the table).

Your code which is: =[Forms]![Form1]![Note1] should work if you want the same note for all records on the report. If you need to grab the value from the database table, then use the expression example in the recordsource query and then you'll see the expression name in the report design where it shows the fields. You just drag the expression in listing to the report where you want it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.