Dom is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Stop users importing objects into another database

I have a split database created entirely in Access. The BE holds all the tables and is password protected, and the FE holds the queries, forms, reports, macros etc. On one of the forms, there is an event procedure on the On Click property of a label which enables/disables the bypass key.

How can I stop a user from simply creating a new database and importing the objects from mine? Although they can't import the tables themselves, they can import the links and see all the data contained in them, and they can import the forms etc.

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If it was prior to MSAccess 2007, I'd suggest creating MSAccess Security on the backend mdb. This would prevent others from importing. I'm sure somewhere Microsoft put something similar to this feature in 2007 (hopefully.)

Otherwise I'd try to put the backend in a buried folder somewhere (or even see if hiding it works). I can't recall if hiding the folder caused problems for the frontend.

As far as the frontend, you should keep the accdb on your computer (or special development only network folder) and distribute out the accde on a shared network for the users. This is a development/deployment type of environment used in a lot of IT places.

If you have users tapping into your backend tables though, it's time to sit down and chat with them about what can be designed on the frontend which might prevent this. I personally have an export type routine that lets my users select and export out specific data. Updating of data should only be done through a form in the frontend.

You could also consider using SQL Server for your backend tables. SQL Server tables can be linked into the frontend and act just like an MSAccess linked table. Others wouldn't be able to import the linked table into their db (it would just import the structure). And if they tried to link the table from SQL Server, they would need to know the server name/address, password, and ODBC DSN Name/username/password to the db.

Dom is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Thanks for the response. I can't find anything straightforward in 2007 that lets me stop this, but I have managed to get around it by hiding the different elements and setting the Navigation Pane to not show hidden objects. Not ideal, but at least it solves the problem! I think SQL is the way to go!

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Here's something that might interest you. It also logs the user name and each time they opened the mdb. It won't help though if they are linking the tables from another mdb, only if they attempt to open this mdb. Still, it's a fairly simple technique to implement you could put on your backend mdb.

https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...dbs-10199.html

David04845 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I did the following....
    1.) Create a batch file using a command line switch to open the front end or entire database from a batch file in runtime mode.
    2.) Then use windows built in iexpress to convert the batch file into a .exe so the path cannot be read by viewing the file.
    3.)Hide the database backend or the database in an out of the way hidden folder.
    4.)Hide all tables and queries so they can not be linked or imported to an external database
    5.)Add VBA code to disable the shift key startup.
    Everything in unison seems to keep it pretty safe.
    **Also I didn't like the user security method from MSACCESS so I set the folder security permission to allow only the user accounts I wanted. they are the only ones that can access the network folder so they are the only ones that can get to the database inside =)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.