vaikz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2003

Reports w/ sub-reports very slow to open

hi, I have an access 2003 program where the BE resides on the server and the FE on the clients PC. One of my reports had 2 sub-reports and it really loads so slow compare to the reports I made with only one sub-report all on the same data's. So how can I speed it up. I'll give you the screen-shots to understand it easily.

Report w/ 2 sub-reports: report.png

Report w/ only one sub-reports: report1.png

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    This is a difficult question to answer without more detailed information and actually seeing the sub-report.

You could try adding in criteria to the sub-report's recordsource so that the relational joining field =Reports!myMainReportName!IDField. Sometimes this speeds up a report. Otherwise I'd check indexes on the relational table the sub-report is based off of to see if this speeds it up.

There's quite a few things which could cause a sub-report to slow down so it's difficult to say specifically the problem to answer your question. Other things to look at involve things such as any conditional formatting on fields on the sub-report, inserted pictures, calculated fields, dlookups, etc...etc...including the table design itself (again, there could be many different reasons without seeing the actual report - screen snapshots don't really help.)

You can also try changing the recordsource of the sub-report from a dynaset query to a snapshot query. Typically though what slows down a sub-report is the way the actual underlying recordsource query is designed itself (ie. having linked tables to the main data table or unnecessary linked tables in the query versus 1 table and using criteria as first mentioned.)

I'd also make sure it's the actual design of the sub-report that is causing it to be slow versus the specific relational table the sub-report is based off of (check indexes on the relational table.) If other reports/forms based off of this same relational table are also slow, I'd look at the table design/indexes/relationships.

Lastly, I'd look at the data to see if there are any orphaned records. Orphaned records will cause any reports based off of that table to run slower (depending on how the sub-report is designed.) Make sure also to debug/compile any code.

vaikz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2003
    Thanks for the reply pkstormy. I'll look on your suggestions and give back feedback later.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.