anoob is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Basis Access / PHP question - Opinions Please

Is it silly for one to think that an Access database, created on a desktop or whatever personal machine, could be uploaded to a server and used with some sort of PHP or dynamic website?

Anyone know if this is common practice, or outdated?

Any suggestions for one starting down the dynamic, database driven website path?

(Aside from "don't do it".)

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    a web server with a database component does need something to hold the tables - and it can be Access. In this case all Access is - is tables. But it is not the ideal product. take a Visual.Net programming class and they will do beginner web sites to an Access table. but because it is just tables there are other products like sqllite or mysql that can be just tables and takes sql commands and is free. one doesn't need the form/report/feature set that comes with Access - that is just unneeded baggage for the web server application. the LAMP stack is Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP.

NTC is offline VIP
    let me add; the MS equivalent is Windows Server, SQLserver, IIS and ASP - all in an integrated .Net development environment.

Access's route to the web is via Web forms and Sharepoint - in Access2010.

anoob is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    So it would be advised I just look straight into MySQL?

NTC is offline VIP
    I consider web based app development to be a profession. (We're talking db driven and not just brochure-ware html design.......) There are alot of piece parts from session management, content management, DNS, firewalls, etc. It is not really lending itself to amateurs - but of course an amateur can build a car from the ground up if they have the will to do so.

So the issue if a programmer is going into this field is which environment to work in. i.e LAMP, Microsoft, etc. ...all have their respective fans. The Access product really isn't even in the mix. So since your post is headlined as a PHP question - I do think probably you would stay within the LAMP community with the MySQL db.

But I wouldn't use MySQL for a non-web Client/Server solution as Access is a much more rich development environment. Access is inching its way into web in/out capability (via Sharepoint). One definitely can now harvest data input via web forms and issue Reports output onto the web. So there is some reasonable functionality.

hope this helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.