rbowman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Access runtime 2000

I am somewhat familiar with Acess and have what I would call a simple question. I have an Access 2003 database that someone else developed a long time ago for the company I now work for. The database does a bunch of append queries and it runs just great with full blown access. But if I load the runtime version 2000 on a mchine and try to run the database all of a sudden I get a bunch of append query popups asking me to confirm running each and every query. I have search google for several days trying to find an answer. Most talk about 3 buttons to check to turn off the prompting (sorry I can't remmeber off the top of my head where they are). I can go in with a full version and check the settings and all of them are turned off which is evident because the full blown doesn't prompt you. The other threads I found talk about writing VBA or SQL code to turn it off but I am not familiar with that. The bottom line is I don't understand why I should have to re-code to fix something that is only broken in the runtime version. Does anyone know a trick to get the runtime version to read and acknowledge the security settings that the full version appears to read? Sorry for the long winded message.

Thanks Rick Bowman

Estuardo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    G'd evening Rick,
    If that db was built in Access 2003 Format, all you have to do is to Open your db in ms access 2003, go to tools-->Database utilities --> Convert Database--> To Access 2000 File Format.
    Personally i wouldn't go back converting any db to an older format i rather remove the 2000 runtime and replace it with the 2007 runtime it's free

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I wouldn't call the runtime version "broken", I'd say the original developer failed to account for that environment. The settings you're talking about are Access specific, so they depend on the settings on the PC running the application. It was a mistake for the developer to rely on that setting, which is why most of us would use code to prevent them (using the Execute method, or SetWarnings). You can try this, but I have no idea if it works on a PC with the runtime version. It's how you can change the setting with full Access.

Application.SetOption "confirm action queries", False

I may not have the syntax exactly right. I don't like changing someone's settings, so this is not something I would normally do. That is VBA code, so it would still involve a code change. It may not even work, as by definition the runtime version doesn't contain all the options available in the full version. It's only meant to "run" an existing application.

If it's any consolation, I made the same mistake on an early application, and had to go back and add the code to stop the warnings.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

rbowman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    The settings you're talking about are Access specific, so they depend on the settings on the PC running the application.

When you say that its dependent on the p.c. are you saying the p.c. stores access settings? Or are you talking about the database. Because the database is actually on a network drive. So I would think if the change were made to the database it would apply to all that use it. But I may not understand the principle correctly. I ran into an issue with the toolbar on access 97 runtime and the fix was as simple as creating an alternate toolbar to load instead of the default. I was hoping this would have a similar fix as it runs fine with the full blown version. Ok well it looks like I will have to make a backup copy of the db and dig into the code to see how the queries are setup and try your suggestions to see if it works. And learn a little about VBA.
    Thanks for the input.

Rick

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The PC has those settings, not the database file. If the file held them, you wouldn't be having this problem.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.