PeakH is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Probably silly question about top boarder on Textbox

I just made a quick report by highlighting the query and selecting create >> Report. So access formatted the report and populated it with everything.

In the report footer section it put a textbox totaling the field directly above it in the details section. The totals textbox has a thick top boarder on it. I'm trying to re-create it on another textbox that I'm adding, but I can't figure it out. It's not an outline because I can also add an outline that does not affect it. It's not an object by itself because I can't select it separately. I've ran across it before and just deleted the box and made a new one in its place so it's not an issue of how to get rid of it, I've just been playing around with it trying to figure it out.

This is not important, but I'm just unreasonably curious what it is and how to change/recreate it.

Thanks!

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Is it a layout control? These are created automatically when you use the wizard and IMO are a PITA
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by PeakH View Post
    In the report footer section it put a textbox totaling the field directly above it in the details section. The totals textbox has a thick top boarder on it. I'm trying to re-create it on another textbox that I'm adding, but I can't figure it out. It's not an outline because I can also add an outline that does not affect it. It's not an object by itself because I can't select it separately. I've ran across it before and just deleted the box and made a new one in its place so it's not an issue of how to get rid of it, I've just been playing around with it trying to figure it out.
    Colin is correct... the upper thick bar is only visible when the control is a Layout type control. (I also NEVER use layouts....)
    It is much easier (and you have more control) to add a line above the text box.

I played around to try and create the same look without changing the text box to a layout type and I couldn't do it using just the properties displayed in the image below.

So if you really want to have a text box like the layout box,
    right click on the single text box control,
    select Layout,
    then select one of the options... it doesn't matter which one you choose.
    Then set the properties that are in the red box in the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout1.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	33555

PeakH is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks very much! I'll probably go with the line as suggested, but my curiosity is satiated. Phew! I can finally move on.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.